A few things you need to know when applying for an Excise Tax Abatement . . .

The state, not the Assessor, determines the value of your vehicle.

  • The value is a percentage of the original MSRP, not market value.
  • 1st year = 90%
  • 2nd year = 60%
  • 3rd year = 40%
  • 4th year = 25%
  • 5th and remaining years = 10%

Regardless of the status of the vehicle you will receive an excise tax bill, if the plate is active.

It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to cancel the plate if it is not transferred to another vehicle or you move out of state. This can be done on-line at the RMV website.

When applying for an excise abatement you will need the following documentation depending on the situation:

  • Completed abatement application (you can find on our website or pick up at the office)
  • A copy of the bill
  • Plate return receipt or new vehicle's registration if transferred
  • Documentation showing what happened to the old vehicle:

Ex: bill of Sale, letter from the insurance company, junk yard receipt, etc.

If you move to another Town in Massachusetts, you do not qualify for an abatement. The new town will bill you the following year. It is your responsibility to inform the Registry that you have moved or you will receive a bill from Wrentham.

If you leave Massachusetts and turn in your plate to the new state, you are still responsible for canceling the plate. Your new state will not cancel your plate.

If you trade in the vehicle and don't transfer the plate, for your own protection, we suggest you get the Plate Return Receipt from the dealer or insurance company when you pick up the new car. We have had instances where the plate was never canceled or "got lost in the pile" for several months.